All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the growing interest in general European history, the European dimension is surprisingly absent from the writing of contemporary history. In most countries, the historiography on the 20th century continues to be dominated by national perspectives. Although there is cross-national work on specific topics such as occupation or resistance, transnational conceptions and narratives of contemporary European history have yet to be worked out. This volume focuses on the development of a shared conception of recent European history that will be required as an underpinning for further ecomic and political integration so as to make lasting cooperation on the old continent possible. It tries to overcome the traditional national framing that ironically persists just at a time when organized efforts to transform Europe from an object of debate to an actual subject have some chance of succeeding in making it into a polity in its own right. This work is presented with the collaboration of Annelie Ramsbrock.
- Author BiographyKonrad H. Jarausch is director of the Zentrum fur Zeithistorische Forschung Potsdam and Lurcy Professor of European Civilization at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. His research interest is currently focused on the German unification in 1989/90, the nature of the East German dictatorship and the problem of interpreting 20th-century German history in general. His publications include The Shattered Past: Reconstructing German Histories with Michael Geyer (Princeton 2002) and Die Umkehr: Deutsche Wandlungen 1945-1995 (Munchen 2004). Thomas Lindenberger is project leader at the Zentrum fur Zeithistorische Forschung Potsdam and teaches at Potsdam University. He is currently directing a DFG funded research group on Mass Media in the Cold War at the ZZF Potsdam. His publications include Offentliche Polizei im Staatssozialismus: Volkspolizei, SED-Staat und Herrschaftspraxis, 1952-1968 (Koln et al. 2003); and the edited volume Herrschaft und Eigen-Sinn in der Diktatur: Studien zur Gesellschaftsgeschichte der DDR (Koln 1999).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication02/04/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleContemporary European History
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 3
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Notebibliog., index
- Edited byKonrad Hugo Jarausch,Thomas Lindenberger
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.