All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs most Americans kw, conflicts of interest riddle the US health care system. They result from physicians practicing medicine as entrepreneurs, from physicians' ties to pharma, and from investor-owned firms and insurers' influence over physicians' medial choices. These conflicts raise questions about physicians' loyalty to their patients and their professional and ecomic independence. The consequences of such conflicts of interest are often devastating for the patients-and society-stuck in the middle. In Conflicts of Interest and the Future of Medicine, Marc Rodwin examines the development of these conflicts in the US, France, and Japan. He shows that national differences in the organization of medical practice and the interplay of organized medicine, the market, and the state give rise to variations in the type and prevalence of such conflicts. He then analyzes the strategies that each nation employs to cope with them. Unfortunately, many proposals to address physicians' conflicts of interest do t offer solutions that stick. But drawing on the experiences of these three nations, Rodwin demonstrates that we can mitigate these problems with carefully planned reform and regulation. He examines a range of measures that can be taken in the private and public sector to preserve medical professionalism-and concludes that there just might be more than one prescription to this seemingly incurable malady.
- Author BiographyMarc A. Rodwin is Professor of Law at Suffolk University Law School. He is the author of Medicine, Money amd Morals: Physicians' Conflicts of Interest (OUP 1993) and numerous articles on health law, ethics, politics and policy. Rodwin has been a research scholar at Tokyo University Law School and the Centre National de Recherche Scientifique in France. He has testified before Congress, advised consumer groups, and lectured in several countries.
- Author(s)Marc A. Rodwin
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication03/10/2013
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight566 g
- Width161 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.