All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlvin W. Gouldner (1920-1980) was a leading sociologist of his era who provided groundbreaking analyses in the areas of industrial sociology, critical sociological theory, ideology, reciprocity, and class analysis. Even as a self-avowed radical sociologist, Gouldner was unable to maintain allegiance to any particular theorist or theoretical school, for doing so could lead to theory becoming blind partisanship leading to unreflective and sometimes destructive practices (e.g., the problem of the communist dictator). In Confronting Gouldner James J. Chriss confronts the larger issue of the place of critical theory, and specifically Marxism, in framing the perspective of sociology as political activism. Through this confrontation with Gouldner, the author explores the implications of critical theory as it relates to social justice, marriage and family, religion, political activism, public sociology, and deviance and crime.
- Author BiographyJames J. Chriss, Ph.D. (1994), University of Pennsylvania, is Professor in the Department of Sociology and Criminology at Cleveland State University. His most recent books are Beyond Community Policing (Paradigm, 2013) and Social Control: An Introduction 2nd ed. (Polity, 2013).
- Author(s)James J. Chriss
- Date of Publication05/02/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleStudies in Critical Social Sciences
- Series Part/Volume Number76
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note3 black & white line drawings
- Weight562 g
- Width16 mm
- Height24 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.