All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title uses empirical evidence and contributor fieldwork to get at the heart of debates on microfinance claims. It incorporates global perspective but focuses on Southeast Europe, a key arena for microfinance and microcredit programs. Despite the popularity of microfinance, it's a field that remains remarkably under-theorized. Most evaluations carried out by international development agencies, academics, and 'independent' researchers focus on tweaking what they see as an already beneficial system. Rarely are the very foundations of microfinance brought into question. Instead, their studies presuppose impact without evidence, igre potentially important issues, and utilize faulty evaluation methodologies. Bateman and contributors provide critical perspectives on microfinance that reach beyond the desire for technical perfection held dear by almost all microfinance institutions. It charts actual ecomic and social impacts registered in Southeast Europe to date, both in the context of post-communist transition and post-conflict reconstruction. It examines key cross-cutting issues, providing a more holistic and comprehensive approach to microfinance. One of the few books available that provides a robust critique of microfinance, Confronting Microfinance is sure to fire up the debate on this popular poverty-fighting measure.
- Author BiographyMilford Bateman is a Croatia-based freelance consultant specialising in sustainable local economic development policy and community development strategies in the Western Balkans.
- PublisherKumarian Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2011
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationWest Hartford, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKumarian Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight402 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byMilford Bateman
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.