All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMillions of children visit virtual worlds every day. In such virtual play spaces as Habbo Hotel, Toontown, and Whyville, kids chat with friends from school, meet new people, construct avatars, and earn and spend virtual currency. In Connected Play, Yasmin Kafai and Deborah Fields investigate what happens when kids play in virtual worlds, how this matters for their offline lives, and what this means for the design of educational opportunities in digital worlds. Play is fundamentally important for kids' development, but, Kafai and Fields argue, to understand play in virtual worlds, we need to connect concerns of development and culture with those of digital media and learning. Kafai and Fields do this through a detailed study of kids' play in Whyville, a massive, informal virtual world with educational content for tween players. Combining ethgraphic accounts with analysis of logfile data, they present rich portraits and overviews of how kids learn to play in a digital domain, developing certain techlogical competencies; how kids learn to play well -- responsibly, respectfully, and safely; and how kids learn to play creatively, creating content that becomes a part of the virtual world itself.
- Author BiographyDeborah A. Fields is Assistant Professor of Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences at Utah State University.
- Author(s)Deborah A. Fields,Yasmin B. Kafai
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/11/2013
- SubjectComputer Games: User Guides
- Series TitleThe John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Series on Digital Media and Learning
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note29 figures, 1 table
- Weight472 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Foreword byMizuko Ito
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.37New
- AU $21.29New
- AU $24.95New
- AU $20.04New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.91New
- AU $11.60Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.68New
- AU $32.15New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $21.29
- AU $79.16Trending at AU $90.81
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.51
- AU $39.94Trending at AU $43.68
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.64
- AU $57.72Trending at AU $62.56
- AU $77.20Trending at AU $94.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.