All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGreat disasters always attract conspiracy theories and this is just as true of disasters at sea as it is of those on land or in the air. The sinkings of the Titanic and the Lusitania, two of the great maritime disasters of the twentieth century, have attracted more than their share of these theories. Was the sinking of the Titanic a plot by J. P. Morgan to remove opponents to his plan to create a US Federal Reserve Bank? Was the construction of the ship substandard? Was the ship that hit the iceberg that night even the Titanic at all? Might it t have been her sister Olympic instead? And was the Lusitania deliberately allowed to sail into harm's way to provoke the US into joining the First World War? Was her name obscured so the U-boat captain did t kw what ship he was firing on? And how much ammunition was she carrying aboard? In this book, maritime historian and ocean liner expert J. Kent Layton examines these and more conspiracy theories and helps lay them to rest.
- Author BiographyJ. Kent Layton has studied the history of the great Atlantic liners for over three decades. His books bring together, for the first time, many fabulous images, from numerous collections around the world to complement his outstanding research on the great Atlantic vessels. He is an active member of the Titanic Research & Modelling Association and lives in Central New York State. He lives in the Finger Lakes region of Central New York, and divides his time between his writing and his work as a piano tuner.
- Author(s)J. Kent Layton
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/10/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note120
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.