All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMichael Moore mocks George Bush, and Al Franken ridicules Rush Limbaugh, but the mixing of play and politics today is polite and respectful compared to the carnival of contempt kwn as the Chicago Eight trial. Opening at the end of 1960, the trial bought Yippies, anti-war activists and Black Panthers to face conspiracy charges arising from the massive protests at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. The defendants openly lampooned the proceedings, with Abbie Hoffman blowing kisses to the jury and the defence bringing a Viet Cong flat into the courtroom. The judge ordered Bobby Seale of the Black Panthers bound and gagged for insisting on representing himself. And an array of celebrity witnesses appeared, including Timothy Leary, Norman Mailer, Arlo Guthrie, and Allen Ginsberg, who provoked the prosecution by chanting Om on the witness stand. This book contains an abridged transcript of the trial with astute commentary from historian Jon Wiener. A foreword by defendant Tom Hayden examines its relevance for protest today, and drawings by legendary cartoonist Jules Feiffer help recreate the electrifying atmosphere of the courtroom.
- Author BiographyJon Wiener is a contributing editor to The Nation and a professor of history at the University of California at Irvine. He is the author of Gimme Some Truth Come Together and Historians in Trouble. Tom Hayden was a California state senator for eighteen years and is the author of Irish on the Inside, The Zapatista Reader, Rebel and Street Wars. Jules Feiffer is a Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist, novelist, and playwrights based in New York City.
- PublisherThe New Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe New Press
- Content Note31
- Weight311 g
- Width132 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJon Wiener
- Illustrator(s)Jules Feiffer
- Foreword byTom Hayden
- Format DetailsWith flaps
- Edition Statementabridged edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.