All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSir Ivor Jennings (1903-65), Downing Professor of Law at the University of Cambridge, was one of the twentieth century's most famous and significant constitutional scholars and the author of numerous well-kwn texts. Beyond his prestigious roles in Britain, Jennings was also very influential internationally as an advisor on constitutional questions during the 1950s and 1960s. This volume brings together for the first time previously unpublished letters, memoranda, diaries and confidential evaluations of constitutional issues, political elites and critical events in Ceylon, Ethiopia, India, Malta, Malaysia, Nepal, New Zealand, Pakistan, Rhodesia, Singapore, South Africa and Sudan. Also included are candid and forthright assessments on Britain's constitutional influence abroad and Jennings' direct experience of constitution-making. This collection sheds light t only on Jennings' work and influence, but also on British ideas about democracy and on institutions across the globe during the climactic era of decolonisation.
- Author BiographyDr Kumarasingham is Smuts Research Fellow in Commonwealth Studies at the University of Cambridge and Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of Commonwealth Studies, University of London. He also held an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship Award at Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich. His recent work covers comparative politics and how the Westminster system was exported across the world and includes the monograph A Political Legacy of the British Empire: Power and the Parliamentary System in Post-Colonial India and Sri Lanka (2013). Dr Kumarasingham is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication29/01/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Series TitleCamden Fifth Series
- Series Part/Volume Number46
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight580 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byHarshan Kumarasingham
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.