All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionConstitutional Failure is a major contribution to studies of the German political philosopher Carl Schmitt (1888-1985), the Weimar Republic, and the relationship of constitutionalism, political ecomy, and democracy. An internationally rewned scholar of Weimar legal theory, Ellen Kennedy brought Schmitt's neglected work to the attention of English-speaking readers with her highly regarded translations of his work and studies of its place in twentieth-century political theory. In this eagerly awaited book, she tracks Schmitt's contribution to the can of Western political philosophy during its most difficult and dangerous moment-the time of Weimar Germany and the Third Reich-demonstrating the centrality of his thought to understandings of the modern constitutional state and its precarious ecomic and social foundations. Kennedy reveals how Schmitt's argument for a strong but neutral state supported the maximization of market freedom at the cost of the political constitution. She argues that the major fault lines of Weimar liberalism-emergency powers, the courts as defenders of the constitution, mass mobilization of anti-liberal politics, ethnic-identity politics, a culture of resentment and contested legitimacy-are t exceptions within the liberal-democratic orders of the West, but central to them. Contending that Schmitt's thought remains vital today because liberal rms are inadequate to the political challenges facing constitutional systems as diverse as those of Eastern Europe and the United States, Kennedy develops a compelling, rigorous argument that unsettles many assumptions about liberalism, democracy, and dictatorship.
- Author BiographyEllen Kennedy is Professor of Political Science at the University of Pennsylvania. Among her books are The Bundesbank: Germany's Central Bank in the International Monetary System; Freedom and the Open Society: Henri Bergson's Contribution to Political Philosophy; and the English translation of Carl Schmitt's Crisis of Parliamentary Democracy.
- Author(s)Ellen Kennedy
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication25/09/2004
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note6 b&w photos
- Weight376 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5983 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.