All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionModern constitutionalism has put a lot of hopes in parliaments but there is some consensus that these hopes have t been entirely fulfilled. At the same time, the role of parliaments in contemporary democracies continues to evolve as parliaments are faced with new challenges. How should they react to the new forms of executive and administrative action? Should they play a role in upholding judicial independence, although the latter is frequently seen as independence from parliament as well as the executive? How should they contribute to the protection of fundamental rights? The book aims at providing some answers to these questions by first setting the historic scene, giving a comparative overview of the modern history of a selection of major European deliberative institutions (UK, France, Germany and the European Parliament). The book then looks at themes around the doctrine of separation of powers, especially aspects of the relationship between parliament and the executive power and parliaments' role and attitude regarding the judiciary with a special focus on the independence of the judiciary in a comparative perspective.
- Author BiographyKatja S Ziegler is Sir Robert Jennings Chair in International Law at the University of Leicester. Denis Baranger is Professor of Public Law at the Universite Pantheon-Assas (Paris II). Anthony W. Bradley is Professor Emeritus of Constitutional Law, University of Edinburgh, and a Research Fellow at the Institute of European and Comparative Law, University of Oxford.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication22/05/2007
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleStudies of the Oxford Institute of European & Comparative Law
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published1899
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight568 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byAnthony W. Bradley,Denis Baranger,Katja S. Ziegler
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.