All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany of us take for granted the idea that the right to religious freedom should be protected in a free, democratic polity. This book challenges whether the protection and privilege of religious belief and identity should be prioritized over any other right. By studying the effects of constitutional promises of religious freedom and establishment clauses, Frank B. Cross sets the stage for a set of empirical questions that examine the consequences of such protections. Although the case for broader protection is often made as a theoretical matter, constitutions generally protect freedom of religion. Allowing people full choice in religious beliefs or freedom of conscience is central to their automy. Freedom of religion is thus potentially a very valuable aspect of society, at least so long as it respects the freedom of individuals to be irreligious. This book tests these associations and finds that constitutions provide national religious protection, especially when the legal system is more sophisticated.
- Author BiographyFrank B. Cross holds a joint appointment as the Herbert D. Kelleher Centennial Professor of Business Law and Professor of Law at the University of Texas. His scholarship traverses several fields, including descriptive and normative studies of judicial decision making, the economics of law and litigation, and traditional policy and doctrinal issues in administrative and environmental law. Since 1998, he has published more than twenty articles in various publications, including the Yale Law Journal, the Cornell Law Review, the New York University Law Review, and the Columbia Law Review.
- Author(s)Frank B. Cross
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication05/02/2015
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleComparative Constitutional Law and Policy
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note30 b/w illus.
- Weight530 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $23.00New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.