All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy focusing on one particular re-education institution, this book offers a multifaceted analysis of practices of diagsis and curing what was defined as delinquency, criminality or disorderly behaviour at the turn of the twentieth century. The study provides an important corrective to the existing accounts of re-education by proposing an approach in which institutional practices are analysed both from above and from below. The book draws attention to the process of reforming identities - the construction of reformatory identities - as the core of residential re-education. Special emphasis is placed on the interplay of tions of gender and social background. The book is based on extensive archival research drawing from a wide range of new and neglected sources. The primary material includes a unique collection of documents produced by the girls of the Vuorela State Reform School in Finland. Narrative analysis of correspondence, and careful scrutiny of the official sources created for re-educational purposes, form a basis for the investigation of the interaction between pupils' own self-expression and the aims of re-education in the construction of reformed identities. The practices developed in Finland are carefully contextualised in the European history of re-education.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Kaisa Vehkalahti is a research co-ordinator at the Finnish Youth Research Society. She received her Ph.D. from the Department of Cultural History, University of Turku, Finland. Her research interests include the history of education, childhood and youth studies, and the cultural history of writing. Her research has focused on the history of Finnish re-education, discourses of girls' delinquency, the history of letter-writing, and the history of Finnish women's magazines.
- Author(s)Kaisa Vehkalahti
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/09/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight530 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.