All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter a long period of prosperity and steady ecomic growth, the world's leading ecomies are w in crisis, and although there will be debate about its origins, the scale and seriousness of the crisis is in doubt. There is also doubt that excessive amounts of consumer credit, allied to a weak understanding of how globalised credit markets might react to a crisis, have played a significant part. This book, which is primarily about credit, debt and the trouble they have led to, is written by authors who have specialised in researching into over-indebtedness, that is, situations in which an individual's debt burden has become overwhelming. For these authors the plight of individuals is a primary concern, but the wider issue is how credit is used and how it changes societies. The essays in this volume, addressing topics which are fundamental to our understanding of the current crisis, range widely across the whole sector of consumer finance, including mortgages, 'credit-binges', the regulation of consumer lending, insolvency, repayment plans, debt counselling and much more besides. The conclusions drawn from the book are equally wide-ranging, but above all the lesson learned from these essays is that the financialisation of contemporary life ensures that issues of the appropriate role of credit remain of critical importance in society.
- Author BiographyJohanna Niemi is Senior Researcher at National Research Institute of Legal Policy, Helsinki, Finland. Iain Ramsay is Professor of Law at Kent Law School, University of Kent at Canterbury. William C Whitford is Emeritus Professor of Law at the University of Wisconsin Law School.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication15/07/2009
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2009
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight805 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byIain Ramsay,Johanna Niemi,William C. Whitford
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.