All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionContemporary Ecomic Sociology closely examines critical and contemporary issues in the sociology of ecomic life. Bringing together a range of theoretical perspectives, Fran Tonkiss examines major shifts in the organization of ecomy and society - from the politics of globalization to the cultural ecomy, social exclusion and the 'end' of class. This new volume is organized around three core themes (globalization, production and inequality) and answers the questions: * how are transnational processes re-making contemporary ecomies? * can capitalist globalization be governed or resisted? * do class relations still shape people's social identities? * how can we think about inequality in national and international contexts? Key changes in each of these domains raise new challenges for analyzing social and ecomic relations, power, agency and identity. Setting these changes in a transnational context, this book examines how these issues are being re-shaped in contemporary societies, and explores competing frameworks for understanding such changes. Drawing on arguments from ecomic sociology, politics and policy studies, political ecomy and critical geography, the text focuses on both conceptual approaches to the social study of the ecomy, and trans-national processes of social and ecomic restructuring. The arguments provide a critical overview of current concerns for ecomic sociology, and extend the boundaries of the discipline to a new set of questions. The text is particularly relevant to undergraduate and graduate students and scholars in the fields of ecomic and political sociology, politics and government, geography, ecomics and international relations.
- Author BiographyFran Tonkiss is Lecturer in Sociology at the London School of Economics and Political Science. She is the author of Space, the City and Social Theory (Polity, 2005), the co-author of Market Society (Polity, 2001), and the co-editor of Trust and Civil Society (Macmillan, 2000).
- Author(s)Fran Tonkiss
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/04/2006
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NotePaper over boards
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.79Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $36.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.