Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $44.87Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $27.20Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by jlb225oz
- Est. delivery by 5 Feb
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis comprehensive look at Japanese cinema in the 1990s includes nearly four hundred reviews of individual films and a dozen interviews and profiles of leading directors and producers. Interpretive essays provide an overview of some of the key issues and themes of the decade, and provide background and context for the treatment of individual films and artists. In Mark Schilling's view, Japanese film is presently in a period of creative ferment, with a lively independent sector challenging the conventions of the industry mainstream. Younger filmmakers are rejecting the stale formulas that have long characterized major studio releases, reaching out to new influences from other media television, comics, music videos, and even computer games and from both the West and other Asian cultures. In the process they are creating fresh and exciting films that range from the meditative to the manic, offering hope that Japanese film will t only survive but thrive as it enters the new millennium.
- Author BiographyMark Schilling set off for Japan in 1975 to immerse himself in the culture, learn the language, and haunt the theaters. He has been there ever since. In 1989 he became a regular film reviewer for the Japan Times , and has written on Japanese film for a variety of other publications, including Screen International , the Japan edition of Premier, the Asian edition of Newsweek, Asian Wall Street Journal , Japan Quarterly , Winds, Cinemaya, and Kinema Jumpo .
- Author(s)Mark Schilling
- PublisherShambhala Publications Inc
- Date of Publication01/04/2000
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWeatherhill Inc
- Out-of-print date11/06/2010
- Content Note50 b&w illustrations
- Weight633 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.