All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThese essays, first published between 1925 and 1927, propose a radical overhaul and a new construction of Scotland's cultural identity. MacDiarmid focuses on poetry and the vel, on theatre, art, music, history and education, and also on writing by women in Scotland. His criticism of conventional attitudes is balanced by an appraisal of the possibilities in Scotland for a renaissance in the arts and a reassertion of national cultural and political identity. MacDiarmid seeks to integrate cultural and social wellbeing. How successful has his challenge been met? The essays are published with the correspondence to which they gave rise, and which form a running commentary. The author's 1976 comments appear in the book as an appendix.
- Author(s)Hugh MacDiarmid
- PublisherCarcanet Press Ltd
- Date of Publication24/08/1995
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleMacDiarmid 2000 S.
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCarcanet Press Ltd
- Content Notefacsimiles
- Weight739 g
- Width145 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Introduction byAlan Riach
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.