All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThe book presents Slovenia's contemporary timber architecture. Thanks to its abundant forests, Slovenia has preserved the tradition of wood construction. As much as 60% of its surface is covered by forests. Slovenia is also the third most forested country in Europe. The high share of forest-covered surface allows for a sustainable production of high-quality wood. In the past, wood was used primarily in the construction of farm buildings, but w timber architecture is used for everything from residences and office buildings to public buildings such as community centres and schools. Timber construction is becoming increasingly popular. Apart from larger companies taking this approach, a great number of wooden houses have sprung up, built either on personal initiative or with the support of carpenter workshops. Slovenian timber architecture has taken a new approach to environmental and energy-efficiency problems and received great international recognition. The book discusses over fifty projects built over a ten-year period, and includes descriptions, photographs and plans. The projects include residential areas, administration, and office as well as tourist, educational and industrial buildings. Timber architecture is presented as an integral part of the Slovenian landscape. The mograph will be useful to designers and future experts in their planning of optimal timber buildings and will highlight the main benefits of using timber construction.
- Author BiographyAssist. Prof. dr. Manja Kitek Kuzman of the University of Ljubljana researches timber construction and focuses on the study of design models of contemporary energy-efficient timber buildings, which combine the know-how of architecture, design and timber construction. Dr Kuzman's teaching and research work is focused on the advances in wood construction and the potentials of innovative use of wood. Her work cooperates with Slovenian and foreign manufacturers of prefabricated timber houses with the aim to connect science with practice. She participates in various national and international projects and transfer scientific research findings into education and organizes, in cooperation with the Chamber of Architecture and Environmental Planning of Slovenia, seminars on timber construction, disseminates knowledge and helps raise the awareness of the lay public on the advantages of the use of wood for construction purposes.
- Author(s)Andreja Kutnar,Manja Kitek Kuzman
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication16/09/2014
- Series TitleGreen Energy and Technology
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note218 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight444 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.