All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBreaking new ground in this century, this wide-ranging collection of essays is the first of its kind to address the work of contemporary international women playwrights. The book considers the work of established playwrights such as Caryl Churchill, Marie Clements, Lara Foot-Newton, Maria Irene Fornes, Sarah Kane, Lisa Kron, Young Jean Lee, Lynn Nottage, Suzan-Lori Parks, Djanet Sears, Caridad Svich, and Judith Thompson, but it also foregrounds important plays by many emerging writers. Divided into three sections-Histories, Conflicts, and Genres-the book explores such topics as the feminist history play, solo performance, transcultural dramaturgies, the identity play, the gendered terrain of war, and eco-drama, and encompasses work from the United States, Canada, Latin America, Oceania, South Africa, Egypt, and the United Kingdom. With contributions from leading international scholars and an introductory overview of the concerns and challenges facing women playwrights in this new century, Contemporary Women Playwrights explores the diversity and power of women's playwriting since 1990, highlighting key voices and examining crucial critical and theoretical developments within the field.
- Author BiographyPenny Farfan is Professor of Drama at the University of Calgary, Canada. She is the author of Women, Modernism, and Performance as well as many articles and book chapters on modernism and performance and on contemporary women playwrights. She is currently the editor of Theatre Journal. Lesley Ferris is Arts and Humanities Distinguished Professor of Theatre at The Ohio State University, USA. Her publications include numerous essays on gender and performance and Caribbean-derived carnival. Her recent devised work was The Camouflage Project, which focused on British women undercover agents in occupied France in World War II.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication11/12/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byLesley Ferris,Penny Farfan
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.