All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSurrogate motherhood is expanding all over the world. Debates rage over how public policy should consider the signing away of the parental rights of birth mothers in favor of a 'commissioning' couple or an individual. In this book, Daniela Danna describes the situation in English-speaking countries and worldwide, from California to Greece, presenting the legal alternatives regulating (or t) these peculiar exchanges. Should surrogacy remain a private agreement? Should it be treated as an enforceable contract? Are surrogate mothers workers? What happens inside the countries that have chosen different ways of handling this new and controversial matter? And, the most important question of all: How can we live in this era of new tech-medical possibilities and try to stay human? Can we resist commodification in the field of human relations concerning procreation? Contract Children discusses the different ways available to obtain a child through surrogate motherhood. It is fundamental reading for anyone wanting to be involved in the surrogacy process. It gives prospective surrogate mothers and infertile couples the background information necessary for their own informed decision. It is also an essential instrument for policy makers and activists in the field of women's rights, social justice, and children's rights. The question of how to publicly deal with surrogate motherhood touches upon our social vision of motherhood, ultimately marking the position of women in contemporary society.
- Author BiographyDaniela Danna is a sociologist at the University of Milan who has taught on the subjects of economic sociology, world-systems analysis, methodology of the social science, social policy, and history of sociology. She is the author of a number of books and articles on violence against women, prostitution policy, lesbian and gay issues, population, and procreation. She is also the author of popularizing pamphlets, such as Gender explained to a paramecium, available on her website www.danieladanna.it. She is a founding editor of XXD - Rivista di varia donnit , an Italian feminist web magazine.
- Author(s)Daniela Danna
- Publisheribidem-Verlag, Jessica Haunschild u Christian Schon
- Date of Publication05/01/2016
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationStuttgart
- Country of PublicationGermany
- Imprintibidem-Verlag, Jessica Haunschild u Christian Schon
- Weight1000 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.