All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis second collection of Brian Coote's previously published writings is for the most part a follow-up to his Contract as Assumption (Hart Publishing, 2010). Part of the theme of that collection was that in a bilateral contract the obligations of the parties, both primary and secondary, are those which at formation they have each assumed, that is, have taken upon themselves. Being exchanged at the point of formation, these assumptions constitute the consideration. The institution of contract provides a facility the purpose of which is to enable the parties thereby to bind themselves to legal (contractual) obligation. This emphasis on what happens at formation has prompted the inclusion of several of the papers in this collection. These focus on intention, offer and acceptance, the qualification of primary and secondary obligations whether express or implied, agency, and the effect of illegality on pre-existing rights. Falling outside this group are two pieces respectively on chance and the burden of proof and on impecuniosity, in each case in tort as well as in contract. The collection ends with the author's valedictory lecture, Contract - an Underview . In this paper, delivered on his retirement from the University of Auckland, he summed up his thinking on Contract. It is w for the first time given general currency.
- Author BiographyBrian Coote, CBE, FNZAH, FRSNZ is an Emeritus Professor and sometime Dean of Law at the University of Auckland, and has published widely on Contract topics. JW Carter is Emeritus Professor of Law in Sydney Law School in the University of Sydney, and Consultant at the international law firm Herbert Smith Freehills.
- Author(s)Brian Coote
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication24/03/2016
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Weight555 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJohn Carter
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.28Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.