All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
About this product
- DescriptionThe rapid deepening of the global drug problem has spurred increasingly heated debate over the best solutions. For example, should drug use be an issue for healthcare services or a matter of criminal justice? Is universal abstinence both unrealistic and undesirable? Does drug legalization offer a viable answer? This book provides a lively and thought-provoking account of some of the most pressing issues for policy makers and practitioners in the debate about drugs. Designed as a platform for further discussion, it presents the full spectrum of perspectives on chronic and contemporary challenges to drug policy and explores the reality for drug users, dealers, suppliers and producers. Drawing on an international evidence base, the author considers: ? Drug enforcement measures: do they work and are they always ethical? ? Addiction treatment: its purpose, cost and limitations; ? Drug research: the strength of its impact on policy and practice; ? Possible solutions: from classic criminalization to radical harm reduction. Both engaging and timely, Controversies in Drugs Policy and Practice is an essential read for all social science students taking modules related to drug use, addiction and treatment. It also makes illuminating reading for academics and practitioners working within the field.
- Author BiographyNEIL MCKEGANEY Professor of Drug Misuse Research at the Centre for Drug Misuse Research, University of Glasgow, UK, which he set up 1994. It is now one of the leading UK research centres focussed on illegal drugs. He has written widely on this subjects encompassing both academic and practitioner audiences. Neil has acted in an advisory role for a number of government departments and international organisations, including the World Health Organization, the UK Home Office, the US Department of Justice the Scottish Executive.
- Author(s)Neil P. McKeganey
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication09/12/2010
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight311 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.