All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis revised edition of Deborah Tannen's first discourse analysis book, Conversational Style-first published in 1984-presents an approach to analyzing conversation that later became the hallmark and foundation of her extensive body of work in discourse analysis, including the mograph Talking Voices, as well as her well-kwn popular books You Just Don't Understand, That's Not What I Meant!, and Talking from 9 to 5, among others. Carefully examining the discourse of six speakers over the course of a two-and-a-half hour Thanksgiving dinner conversation, Tannen analyzes the features that make up the speakers' conversational styles, and in particular how aspects of what she calls a 'high-involvement style' have a positive effect when used with others who share the style, but a negative effect with those whose styles differ. This revised edition includes a new preface and an afterword in which Tannen discusses the book's place in the evolution of her work. Conversational Style is written in an accessible and n-technical style that should appeal to scholars and students of discourse analysis (in fields like linguistics, anthropology, communication, sociology, and psychology) as well as general readers fascinated by Tannen's popular work. This book is an ideal text for use in introductory classes in linguistics and discourse analysis.
- Author BiographyDeborah Tannen is University Professor and Professor of Linguistics at Georgetown University. She followed the first edition of this book, published in 1984, with Gender and Discourse (OUP, 1994), and is the editor of Framing in Discourse and Gender and Conversational Interaction (both OUP, 1993). In all, she has published nineteen books highlighting gender differences in discourse, including most notably The New York Times Best Seller You Just Don't Understand.
- Author(s)Deborah Tannen
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication18/08/2005
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note4 tables, 4 black and white illustrations, 2 line drawings
- Weight313 g
- Width139 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.