Conversations with the Conroys: Interviews with Pat Conroy and His Family by University of South Carolina Press (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $45.05Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $60.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA New York Times best-selling author of eleven vels and memoirs, Pat Conroy is one of America's most beloved storytellers and a writer as synymous with the South Carolina lowcountry as pluff mud or the Palmetto tree. As Conroy's writings have been rooted in autobiography more often than t, his readers have come to kw and appreciate much about the once-secret dark familial history that has shaped Conroy's life and work. Conversations with the Conroys opens further the discussion of the Conroy family through five revealing interviews conducted in 2014 with Pat Conroy and four of his six siblings: brothers Mike, Jim, and Tim and sister Kathy. In confessional and often comic dialogs, the Conroys openly discuss the perils of being raised by their larger-than-life parents, USMC fighter pilot Col. Don Conroy (the Great Santini) and southern belle Peggy Conroy (nee Peek); the complexities of having their history of abuse made public by Pat's books; the tragic death of their youngest brother, Tom; the chasm between them and their sister Carol Ann; and the healing, redemptive embrace they have come to find over time in one ather. With good humor and often-striking candor, these interviews capture the Conroys as authentic and indeed proud South Carolinians, t always at ease with their place in literary lore, but netheless deeply supportive of Pat in his life and writing. Edited and introduced by the Palmetto State's preeminent historian, Walter Edgar, Conversations with the Conroys includes the first publications of Pat Conroy's interview with Edgar as the keyte address of the 2014 One Book, One Columbia citywide big read program, the unprecedented interview with the Conroy siblings for SCETV Radio's Walter Edgar's Journal, the resulting live Conroy Family Roundtable held at the 2014 South Carolina Book Festival, and a recent interview in Charleston following Pat Conroy's induction into the Citadel's Athletics Hall of Fame. This collection is augmented with an afterword from National Book Award-winning poet Nikky Finney and nearly fifty photographs, many from the Pat Conroy Archive in the Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, University of South Carolina Libraries, and published here for the first time. Through the resulting treasure trove of text and images, this volume is as much a keepsake for Conroy's legion of devoted fans as it is a wealth of insider information to broaden the understanding of readers and researchers alike of the idiosyncratic world of Pat Conroy and his family.
- Author BiographyWalter Edgar is the Neuffer Professor of Southern Studies Emeritus and Distinguished Professor Emeritus of History at the University of South Carolina. He is the author of South Carolina: A History, editor of The South Carolina Encyclopedia,and host of the radio program Walter Edgar's Journal. Nikky Finney is the John H. Bennett, Jr. Chair in Southern Letters and Literature at the University of South Carolina and is the author of four books of poetry--Head Off; Split, winner of the 2011 National Book Award for poetry; The World Is Round; Rice; On Wings Made of Gauze--the and novel Heartwood.
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byWalter Edgar
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $45.70Trending at AU $72.17
- AU $21.26Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $18.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.