All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.80Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionConvict Cowboys is the first book on the nation's first prison rodeo, which ran from 1931 to 1986. At its apogee the Texas Prison Rodeo drew 30,000 spectators on October Sundays. Mitchel P. Roth portrays the Texas Prison Rodeo against a backdrop of Texas history, covering the history of rodeo, the prison system, and convict leasing, as well as important figures in Texas pelogy including Marshall Lee Simmons, O.B. Ellis, and George J. Beto, and the changing prison demimonde. Over the years the rodeo arena t only boasted death-defying entertainment that would make professional cowboys think twice, but featured a virtual who's who of American popular culture. Readers will be treated to stories about numerous American and Texas folk heroes, including Western fi lm stars ranging from Tom Mix to John Wayne, and music legends such as Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. Th rough extensive archival research Roth introduces readers to the Convict Cowboys in both the rodeo arena and behind prison walls, giving voice to a legion of previously forgotten inmate cowboys who risked life and limb for a few dollars and the applause of free-world crowds.
- Author BiographyMitchel P. Roth is the author of more than a dozen books including (with Tom Kennedy) Houston Blue: Th e Story of the Houston Police Department (UNT Press) and An Eye for An Eye: A Global History of Crime and Punishment. He is professor of criminal justice and criminology at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. He resides in The Woodlands, Texas, USA.
- Author(s)Mitchel P. Roth
- PublisherUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleNorth Texas Crime and Criminal Justice Series
- Place of PublicationDenton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Content Note50 black & white illustrations
- Weight726 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.