All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionConwy, a small North Wales town, is dominated by the thirteenth-century castle of Edward I, built together with the town and walls. The town has had an interesting and often violent history. By Elizabethan times, Conwy settled into a more peaceful existence, but by the seventeenth century, violence returned at the time of the Civil War. In the nineteenth century, the river was bridged by road and by rail and expansion began, which led to the dawn of modern times. By the mid-twentieth century, increasing traffic congestion was threatening to strangle the town. Although a new bridge was built in 1958, this problem was t solved until a tunnel was built in 1991. Many old buildings remain, including St Mary's church (parts of which are older than the castle), Plas Mawr and Aberconwy House. Author John Barden Davies invites the reader on a tour of Conwy through the past and present, illustrated with a selection of beautiful photographs.
- Author BiographyJohn was born and brought up on the North Wales coast and has known Conwy since his earliest days, taking a keen interest in the history of this unique town. From an early age he has had an interest in local history, and has watched with interest the modern development of Conwy since the middle of the twentieth century. His other interests are public transport, tourism and photography. His first book was on the subject of the development of public transport and tourism in North Wales. John spent his working life in the Church in Wales and now lives in retirement in Deganwy. In this book he tells the story of Conwy from the Medieval period, through Elizabethan, Georgian and Victorian times up to the present day.
- Author(s)John Barden-Davies
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.