All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom its intriguing opening question - 'How can we reasonably judge a meal?' - to its rewarding conclusion, this beautiful book picks up where Brillat-Savarin left off almost two centuries ago. Herve This, a cofounder (with the late physicist Nicholas Kurti) of the new approach to studying the scientific basis of cooking kwn as molecular gastromy, investigates the question of culinary beauty in a series of playful, lively, and erudite dialogues. Considering the place of cuisine in Western culture, This explores an astonishing variety of topics and elaborates a revolutionary method for judging the art of cooking. Many of the ideas he introduces in this culinary romance are illustrated by dishes created by Pierre Gagnaire, whose engaging commentaries provide rare insights into the creative inspiration of one of the world's foremost chefs. The result is an enthralling, sophisticated, freewheeling dinner party of a book that also makes a powerful case for openness and change in the way we think about food.
- Author BiographyHerve This is Research Chemist at Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique and the author of Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking, among other books. Pierre Gagnaire is chef and owner of many restaurants, including Restaurant Pierre Gagnaire, Paris.
- Author(s)Herve This,Pierre Gagnaire
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2010
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Series TitleCalifornia Studies in Food and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number23
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note7 line illustrations
- Weight68 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byM. B. DeBevoise
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.