All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJapan's postwar transformation has been hailed as thing short of a miracle. Yet, in the midst of massive social, ecomic, political, and cultural change, gender inequality persists at remarkably high levels. The paradox of Japan's progress against the persistence of gender inequality raises the question of why women remain a half-step behind men, more than a half century after women were granted equal rights under the postwar constitution. This question has been studied from a variety of perspectives. Anthropologists observe gender roles in Japanese culture, while ecomists study labor market conditions in Japan. This book offers a political perspective, and analyzes gender inequality in terms of power - specifically the power, or lack of power, that women themselves may exercise to create social change. Through the examination of women's groups, women's centers, and women's policy, this book documents state intervention in the women's movement in Japan. This intervention takes the form of regulations that limit the independence of women's organizations, as well as resources that aid and influence their activities. The result is a relationship between women and the state that is more cooperative than conflictual, leading to a slow and incremental process of social change for women in Japan.
- Author BiographyMiriam Murase is a lecturer in the Politics department at Saint Mary's College of California. She received a B.A. from the University of California at Berkeley and a Ph.D. in political science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Author(s)Miriam Murase
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/12/2005
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleEast Asia: History, Politics, Sociology and Culture
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations
- Weight317 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.