All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis classic book (previous edition reprinted five times) gives a thorough update on the latest surgical techniques, medicines and self-help measures effective in reducing the discomfort of a hiatus hernia. Around one in five GP visits is due to a hiatus hernia, a digestive problem which causes heartburn, indigestion and chest pains, and prevalence is increasing as obesity becomes more common. Untreated hiatus hernia may lead to complications such as a scarring and ulcers in the oesophagus. Lifestyle measures are important - changing eating patterns, sleeping position and posture in order to allow the gap in the stomach to heal. Medicines are mainly antacids, which reduce the amount of acid in the stomach. Surgery is used as a last resort, although the NHS undertakes some 100,000 hernia repair operations a year. This new edition looks at the latest in medication and surgical techniques, and offers updated lifestyle advice particularly with the overweight person in mind.
- Author BiographyDr Tom Smith is one of Sheldon's best and most longstanding authors. A GP based in Scotland, and an award-winning medical writer, he contributes health columns to a number of newspapers.
- Author(s)Dr. Tom Smith
- PublisherSPCK Publishing
- Date of Publication16/10/2014
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSheldon Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine6 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $29.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.