All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTraditional copyright law strikes a balance between an author's control of original material and society's interest in the free flow of ideas, information, and commerce. In today's digitally networked environment, this balance has shifted dramatically to one side, as powerful rights holders contractually impose terms and conditions of use far beyond the bounds set by copyright law. This book explores this conflict, focusing on statutory copyright limitations that enshrine constitutional rights such as freedom of expression and privacy, foster dissemination of kwledge, safeguard competition, and protect authors from market failure. It explains the rationale for these limitations and questions the legality of overriding them by contractual means. The author finds a complex array of factors clouding the emergence of coherent rules in the matter and points out that the United States' Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act (UCITA) leaves this issue essentially unresolved. Among the author's insights is that, contrary to the commonly held tion that the Internet is a bastion of free speech, in fact it is w possible (via encryption techlogy) to exercise absolute control over copyrighted material, even under circumstances of global mass distribution.
- Author(s)Lucie M.C.R. Guibault
- PublisherKluwer Law International
- Date of Publication19/02/2002
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Series TitleInformation Law S.
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 9
- Place of PublicationZuidpoolsingel
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintKluwer Law International
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight739 g
- Width165 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.