All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCornwall's place-names and churches are unique. They commemorate an ermous number of local and little-kwn saints - such as St Austell, St Ives, and St Just. This book explains how this came about, how Cornwall came to be Christian after the end of the Roman Empire, and how its religious history developed through the Middle Ages and into the Reformation. Every aspect of Christian life is covered: the early Church, the effects of the English and Norman Conquests, the foundation of monasteries and friaries, and the history of the parish. There is a full account of the Reformation in Cornawall, showing what was swept away and what survived. The book is about people. It probes the identity of the early Cornish saints and explains the daily life of monks, friars, and parish clergy, also highlighting their substantial contribution to the Church outside Cornwall. The author emphasizes the positive role played by lay people. Far from being passive onlookers in pews, they were involved in appointing clergy, building and running parish churches, founding chapels, forming guilds, going on pilgrimages, and staging religious plays. Celtic or Catholic? This book explores Cornwall's religious history as a whole, and shows how the Cornish developed distinctive traditions while fully sharing in the Christianity of western Europe. 'The Christian faith in Cornwall is more than fifteen hundred years yound and it could t have a more dedicated, learned and attractive writer to help us all to be aware of the heritage which is ours' - The Rt Revd William Ind, Bishop of Truro.
- Author BiographyNicholas Orme is Emeritus Professor of History at Exeter University and an Honorary Canon of Truro Cathedral. He has written nearly twenty books on the hisotry of the Church and society in England, and in Cornwall in particular.
- Author(s)Nicholas Orme
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2007
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhillimore & Co Ltd
- Content Note150 illustrations
- Weight530 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.50Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.