All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSamuel Richardson (1689-1761) was an established master printer when, at the age of 51, he published his first vel, Pamela, and immediately became one of the most influential and admired writers of his time. Not only were all Richardson's vels written in epistolary form: he was also a prolific letter-writer himself. This volume in the first ever full edition of Richardson's correspondence includes his letters to and from Aaron Hill, the poet, dramatist and entrepreneur (1685-1750). Hill was Richardson's earliest literary friend and advisor as he embarked on a new career as a velist. This correspondence offers fascinating insight into the compositional processes t just of the two Pamela vels, but of Richardson's later vels Clarissa and The History of Sir Charles Grandison. The volume also contains Richardson's correspondence with Hill's three literary daughters, which forms an invaluable chapter in the history of women's writing and literary criticism.
- Author BiographyChristine Gerrard is a Fellow and Tutor in English at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford. She is the author of The Patriot Opposition to Walpole: Poetry, Politics and National Myth, 1725-1743 (1994), Aaron Hill: The Muses's Projector (2003), The Blackwell Companion to Eighteenth-Century Poetry (2006) and co-editor with David Fairer of Eighteenth-Century Poetry: An Annotated Anthology (2002).
- Author(s)Samuel Richardson
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/12/2013
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleThe Cambridge Edition of the Correspondence of Samuel Richardson
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight860 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byChristine Gerrard,David Shuttleton
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.