All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll societies develop their own rms about what is fair behaviour and what is t. Violations of these rms, including acts of corruption, can collectively be described as forms of 'grabbing'. This unique volume addresses how grabbing hinders development at the sector level and in state administration. The contributors - researchers and practitioners who work on the ground in developing countries - present empirical data on the mechanisms at play and describe different types of unethical practices. The book's sixteen case studies explore why certain practices constitute forms of grabbing, what implications they have for the achievement of development goals, and how policy options should take the characteristics of grabbing into account. A broad range of sectors are covered, including extractive industries, construction, ports, utilities, finance, health, pharmaceuticals and education. The authors discuss political checks and balances, democratic elections and the law enforcement system, as well as the government's role in the allocation of land and as a development partner in other countries. The volume's original approach makes it a valuable resource for researchers and students interested in development, ecomics, governance and corruption. Development aid practitioners, as well as politicians and public officials in developing countries, will find it a useful aid in their work.
- Author BiographyEdited by Tina Soreide, Professor, Norwegian School of Economics (NHH), Norway and Aled Williams, U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre, Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI), Bergen, Norway
- PublisherEdward Elgar Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication31/12/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCheltenham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdward Elgar Publishing Ltd
- Width234 mm
- Height156 mm
- Edited byAled Williams,Tina Soreide
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $61.76
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $52.72
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.