All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCosta Rica is rewned for its tropical beauty, the warmth and charm of the Ticos its people s own name for themselves and its political stability. This Switzerland of the Americas is widely regarded as an oasis of democracy in turbulent Central America. Since the first edition of Culture Smart! Costa Rica was published in 2005, however, there have been some important changes and, with rapid ecomic development, some growing pains. Over the past few years there has been a movement of population to the towns of the Central Valley. Higher education is w the rm for young Ticos, and the middle class has expanded but so has the gap between rich and poor. Tourism took a dive after the 2009 recession, and the national debt has grown, while the arrival of multinationals and significant Chinese investment has been welcomed. Unemployment has risen, people are prepared to go on strike more readily, and there is a general disillusionment with politicians. In the face of mounting difficulties the Ticos remain remarkably peaceable, relaxed, and fun-loving. Their enthusiasm for life is seen as much in their passion for soccer as in their demonstrations in support of human and political rights. Culture Smart! Costa Rica explores and explains the complex human realities of modern Costa Rican life. Armed with this information, you will be better equipped to understand your hosts and to enjoy your visit to this beguiling and beautiful country to the full.
- Author BiographyJane Koutnik is a teacher, translator, writer, and craft jeweler who has lived in Costa Rica for more than thirty years. After graduating in Philosophy and English from the University of California at San Diego, she traveled to Costa Rica, fell in love with the country, and decided to make it home. Over the years she has worked for mutual English Spanish understanding in her local rural community, and has contributed to several guidebooks and tourist magazines. Her passion for the environment has also led her to devote time and energy to conservation, working with the government, the local community, and environmental groups.
- Author(s)Jane Koutnik
- Date of Publication24/05/2012
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleCulture Smart!
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteill
- Weight181 g
- Width109 mm
- Height168 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $29.89Trending at AU $32.53
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $29.75
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $14.85
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $19.41
- AU $24.47Trending at AU $27.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.