All listings for this product
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $75.00Trending at AU $84.48
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $26.54
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.88
- AU $19.00Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $21.78
- AU $20.72Trending at AU $27.49
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $29.92
About this product
- DescriptionTraveling and living abroad can be an enriching experience-opening your eyes to different cultures and worldviews. But it can be difficult to access the local culture of a foreign country, especially if you aren't fluent in its language. Jack Donnelly's unique guide introduces English-speaking travelers and expats to Costa Rica's rich folk culture, traditions, and cuisine, which are often missed by nlocals. Written as a series of articles so you can selectively read what most interests you, Costa Rica covers local legends, folk beliefs, and traditional festivals, wrapping up with a food reference and glossary. Anyone can take a surfing vacation to Costa Rica; but with the cultural insight of Jack Donnelly, you can go on a true Costa Rican adventure. Discover a local festival happening during your trip, and read up on its history so you can join in. Learn Costa Rican Spanish vocabulary and surprise the locals with your understanding. Test your sour tolerance with a cas drink. Come back to life with the seafood cocktail vuelve a la vida, reputed to cure hangovers and illness. Offering an inside view from an outsider's perspective, Jack Donnelly's guide gives you the key to enter the full Tico experience.
- Author BiographyJack Donnelly has been a life-long enthusiast of Latin American folk culture. As a young man, during the 1960s, he studied cultural anthropology at the Universidad de las Americas in Mexico City. He went on to volunteer with the Peace Corps in Guatemala, working with Mayan cooperatives in the Western Highlands and adding to his knowledge and appreciation of Central America's rich cultural heritage. Spending much of his adult life in New Hampshire, Donnelly had to work hard to maintain his Spanish and fuel his interest in Spanish-speaking culture. Over the years, he has published multiple articles and photographs on Costa Rica. Now, Donnelly lives in Heredia, Costa Rica. He travels around the country investigating and documenting folkloric events. His book Costa Rica gathers his findings into a culture-rich guide that offers unique insight into the traditions of the country.
- Author(s)Jack Donnelly
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication28/03/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight150 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.