All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMovie buffs and film scholars alike often overlook the importance of makeup artists, hair stylists, and costumers. With precious few but table exceptions, creative workers in these fields have received little public recognition, even when their artistry goes on to inspire worldwide fashion trends. From the acclaimed Behind the Silver Screen series, Costume, Makeup, and Haircharts the development of these three crafts in the American film industry from the 1890s to the present. Each chapter examines a different era in film history, revealing how the arts of cinematic costume, makeup, and hair, have continually adapted to new conditions, making the transitions from stage to screen, from mochrome to color, and from analog to digital. Together, the book s contributors give us a remarkable glimpse into how these crafts foster creative collaboration and improvisation, often fashioning striking looks and ingenious effects out of limited materials.Costume, Makeup, and Hairt only considers these crafts in relation to a wide range of film genres, from sci-fi spectacles to period dramas, but also examines the role they have played in the larger marketplace for fashion and beauty products. Drawing on rare archival materials and lavish color illustrations, this volume provides readers with both a groundbreaking history of film industry labor and an appreciation of cinematic costume, makeup, and hairstyling as distinct art forms.
- Author BiographyADRIENNE L. McLEAN is a professor of film studies at the University of Texas at Dallas. She is the author or editor of numerous books including Being Rita Hayworth: Labor, Identity, and Hollywood Stardom, Glamour in a Golden Age: Movie Stars of the 1930s, and Cinematic Canines: Dogs and Their Work in the Fiction Film (all by Rutgers University Press).
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication07/10/2016
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleBehind the Silver Screen
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight535 g
- Width158 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byReviewer Adrienne L McLean
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.