Counselling People on the Autism Spectrum: A Practical Manual by Irene Estay, Katherine Paxton (Paperback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $26.37Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $38.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe characteristics of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) present unique challenges, t only to people themselves affected, but also to counselling professionals. This manual provides counselling techniques that work t only for professionals, but also for individuals either coping with being on the spectrum themselves, or living with someone who has an ASD. Regardless of intellectual and linguistic ability, people on the autism spectrum often have significant impairments in emotional expression, regulation, and recognition, and they are kwn to have higher rates of depression and anxiety than the general population. This comprehensive book shows how to develop the tools necessary to help people on the spectrum cope with their emotions, anxieties, and confusion about the often overwhelming world that surrounds them. Illustrated with useful case studies, it covers a range situations where counselling may be helpful for individuals with ASD, both children and adults, families where a member is on the spectrum, and couples where a partner has ASD. It also addresses specific issues, including depression, anxiety, emotional regulation, social skills, and stress, with effective strategies for dealing with each issue. As well as being indispensable for counsellors, this book provides valuable information and advice for anyone working with people and families affected by ASDs.
- Author BiographyKatherine Paxton has supported people with cognitive and physical disabilities for over 25 years, with a focus on autism spectrum disorders for more than half of that. As a consultant and counsellor, Katherine has provided services to families, individuals, employers, and schools impacted by autism spectrum disorders. Katherine has been researching autism spectrum disorders for over ten years, leading to her master's project for the Campus Alberta Applied Psychology Program, which has resulted in the creation of this manual. Irene A. Estay has been a practicing Psychologist in the field of Counselling and Rehabilitation for the past thirty years. She is a university professor at the University of Calgary, Campus Alberta Graduate Program in Counselling and at Phoenix University. Dr. Estay is also Seminar Facilitator, Motivational Speaker and a Consultant for Agencies providing counselling and rehabilitative services in the Province of Alberta.
- Author(s)Irene Estay,Katherine Paxton
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication27/04/2007
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight308 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.