All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on over 40 years experience, Patricia d'Ardenne provides the reader with a unique and practical introduction to counselling and psychotherapy in a world on the move, where ethnic, linguistic, religious, ecomic, political and environmental differences collide and create a rich and complex setting for contemporary therapeutic practice. Positioning counselling within the shifting contexts of the modern world, this book: - Examines anti-discriminatory practice - its origins and development - The complexities of working effectively with refugees, asylum seekers, vulnerable migrants, and the victims of human trafficking - Considers the needs of the cultural traveller - Address the intricacies of faith and spirituality - Provides a guide to assessing language and the role of interpreters - Addresses ethics, the law and transcultural issues in Healthcare - Looks at the importance of supervision, personal development and self care. Counselling in Transcultural Settings is an essential companion for counsellors and psychotherapists at all stages of professional training looking to work beyond their own culture, where the demands of therapy are as dynamic as the political and social contexts within which people seek help. Patricia D'Ardenne is a consultant clinical and counselling psychologist.
- Author BiographyPatricia d'Ardenne is a clinical and counselling psychologist with 40 years' practice, teaching and research in London and overseas. She began work researching in Nashville, Tennessee, returned as Psychology lecturer at the Institute of Psychiatry, and then established an English Language Mental Health Service in Brussels. She returned to East London, and published adapted psychological treatments for the young Bangladeshi community there , as well as those with refugee experience. Her doctoral thesis was on multi-cultural psychology approaches for diverse communities. Patricia co-founded the Special Interest Group on Race and Culture within the British Psychological Society, where she met Aruna Mahtani, and with her, wrote Transcultural Counselling in Action, first & second editions for SAGE ( 1989 & 1999). In the last decade , Patricia established the Institute of Psychotrauma, an East London Foundation NHS Trust specialist service, where she undertook research on the use of interpreters in trauma-focussed therapies. Patricia currently chairs a Global Health Link between East London and Uganda- a government supported partnership for mental health development, where she has been training practitioners since 2006 in psychological therapies in post conflict settings. Patricia teaches transcultural psychological approaches at Queen Mary College. She is an Associate with Interhealth Worldwide, preparing and supporting staff on humanitarian missions overseas aid workers, and was recently elected to join the Psychological Health of Travellers Group within the International Society for Travel Medicine.
- Author(s)Patricia M. d'Ardenne
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication19/11/2012
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Weight386 g
- Width170 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.65Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.