Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionFocusing on Defoe, Richardson, Fielding, Goldsmith, and Smollett, this anthology assembles major studies of the dominant motifs in their vels, among them, London, masquerades, the law, sex, the pilgrimage, and the country house. Together the motifs constitute a mythic journey from the city to the green, golden world of the country.Why the myth ends in the country is the question posed in the editor's opening chapter. A reinterpretation based on recent historical scholarship, it relates the myth's urban and rural poles to the politics of the opposition, the Country Party. Professor Hahn's country thesis suggests that the vel, affirming the values of the landed gentry, is a declaration of conservative romanticism.
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/12/1991
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1991
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight480 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byH.George Hahn
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.