All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his book A Lover's Discourse , Roland Barthes attempted to theorize the language used by lovers to describe each other. It is arguably a text about loneliness, suggesting that even romantic language confesses the distance that always exists between people: if we could achieve perfect unity with others, language would t be necessary. This catalogue documents an exhibition about how couples discourse - about the ways in which artists cope with the social connections and practicalities of being artists in a couple. It is about the commonalities as well as the differences, the intimacies as well as the public articulations - in other words, the negotiations that are required in any relationship. It might be a truism to say that the very tion of the couple is undergoing significant transformation at the moment. Legal changes w allow many same-sex marriages in the United States, even as increasing numbers of people both gay and straight choose to enjoy unions and family structures beyond such conventional forms. Now is, of course, the perfect time to investigate more carefully the ways in which artists construct and articulate their positions as couples.
- Author BiographyJoyce Henri Robinson is Curator at the Palmer Museum of Art and Affiliate Associate Professor in the History of Art Department, The Pennsylvania State University. Her numerous publications include Through the Looking Glass (2003), also distributed by Penn State Press.
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication29/11/2006
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationUniversity Park
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPalmer Museum of Art
- Content Note66 colour illustrations
- Weight835 g
- Width229 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJoyce Henri Robinson
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.