All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGilbert is a groundhog and the main character in this invative book. He struggles with feeling and expressing his emotions, which causes him to feel incomplete in his heart and anxious in his body. Through a wise, old oak tree, Gilbert learns how to breathe deeply, but that isn't eugh. He also has to learn real tools for releasing anger, fear, and sadness so these emotions do t get stuck in the body. He realizes this is the only way to feel complete, authentic, and peaceful.Courageous Gilbert the Groundhog is an essential tool for parents, educators, child and family therapists, and other caregivers of children. It is to be read time and again, and the techniques are to be put into practice, The breathing will help calm the nervous system, oxygenate the brain, and create a safe feeling in the body. Once the body feels safe, the whole brain can fully engage to respond in a healthy manner to situations instead of impulsively react. When we feel threatened, our reptilian brain takes over our central nervous system and we go into fight or flight mode. If really scared we may go into the freeze mode. Discharging this energy is necessary to prevent trauma responses later in life. Body movement like stomping our feet, yelling into a pillow, and marching around help us stay out of the freeze mode, and our brain fully online. If children can learn these skills, they can be used for the rest of their life.
- Author(s)Regina E McCarthy
- PublisherBlue Stone Healing Center Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2015
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlue Stone Healing Center Ltd
- Content Note, colour illustrations
- Weight349 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Illustrator(s)Sue Dettman
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.