All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCovering the Environment serves as a primer for future and current journalists reporting on environmental issues across all types of media. This practical resource explains the primary issues in writing on the environment, identifies who to go to and where to find sources, and offers examples on writing and reporting the beat. It also provides background to help environmental journalists identify their audiences and anticipate reactions to environmental news. This primer emphasizes the role of environmental journalists t as environmental advocates but as reporters attempting to accurately and fairly report the news. Contents include: * An overview and history of the environment and journalism, spotlighting the most significant issues in the beat * Guidance on understanding environmental and health science, ranging from issues of risk, to scientific research and studies, to interviewing scientists * Insights into government and regulatory communities and environmental advocates on all sides of the political spectrum * Assistance in accessing public records and conducting computer-assisted reporting * Guidance in writing the story for print, broadcast and Internet audiences * An examination of the future of journalism and coverage of the environment. Observations and story excerpts from experienced journalists provide a real world component, illuminating the practice of environmental journalism. Additional features in each chapter include study questions, story assignments and resources for additional information. The book also provides a glossary of environmental, science, regulator and journalism terms, as well as a reference section and index. This resource has been developed to train advanced undergraduate and graduate journalism students to cover the science and environment community, writing print and broadcast stories to a general audience. It also serves as a guide for working journalists who cover the environment in their work.
- Author BiographyAuthor Bob Wyss has worked as a journalist for over 35 years, and has covered environmental and energy issues for a variety of publications, including the Providence Journal, the Boston Globe, the New York Times, and E Magazine. He has taught environmental journalism at Michigan State University and the University of Connecticut.
- Author(s)Robert L. Wyss
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication17/12/2007
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleRoutledge Communication Series
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 10
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRoutledge Member of the Taylor and Francis Group
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.