All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionForcibly expelled from Spain in the early seventeenth century, the substantial Muslim community kwn as the moriscos left behind them a hidden yet extremely rich corpus of manuscripts. Copied out in Arabic script and concealed in walls, false floors, and remote caves, these little-kwn texts w offer modern readers an absorbing look into the cultural life of the moriscos during the hundred years between their forced conversion to Christianity and their eventual expulsion. Covert Gestures reveals how the traditional Islamic narratives of the moriscos both shaped and encoded a wide range of covert social activity characterized by a profound and persistent concern with time and temporality. Using a unique blend of literary analysis, linguistic anthropology, and phemelogical philosophy, Barletta explores the narratives as testimonials of past human experiences and discovers in them evidence of community resistance. In its interdisciplinary approach, Vincent Barletta's work is thing less than a rewriting of the cultural history of Muslim Spain, as well as a replotting of the future course of medieval and early modern literary studies.
- Author BiographyVincent Barletta is assistant professor of medieval Iberian literature at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Author(s)Vincent Barletta
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication12/05/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationMinneapolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Content Note1tabs.
- Weight445 g
- Width150 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.