All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAccording to Santa Ana Pueblo legend, the animals' spirit Leader created the sun, moon, and stars by using woven yucca mats and hot coals. He selected certain animals to climb from their homes in the Third World up to the Fourth World. The Squirrel, the Rabbit, and the Badger were all allowed to go. The Coyote, however, was forbidden to accompany them because he was always causing trouble and stealing food from the others. Regardless of what he was told, Coyote refused to stay in the Third World. He found a hiding place and waited for a chance to follow the animals to the Fourth World. When the other animals discovered Coyote, they summoned the Leader to the Fourth World to deal with him. Coyote's punishment is a lesson in what happens to animals, or people, when they refuse to obey instructions. Writing for the younger reader, Emmett 'Shkeme' Garcia, a member of the Santa Ana tribe, shares his Pueblo's story of the beginnings of the stars and constellations. Victoria Pringle's illustrations provide visual elements that enhance the action of the story. It is intended for all ages.
- Author BiographyEmmett Shkeme Garcia is co-owner of Emergence Productions, a cultural exchange and the lead singer of Native Roots. Victoria Pringle is a graduate of The Little Red School House, New York.
- Author(s)Emmett Shkeme Garcia
- PublisherUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2006
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationAlbuquerque, NM
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Content Note14 illus
- Weight445 g
- Width255 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Victoria Pringle
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.81
- AU $56.19Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.84Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.19
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $20.66
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.