All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe TaRYaG count-the traditional enumeration of the 613 commandments contained in the five Mosaic books (Torah)-holds a prominent place in Jewish thought. The tradition is based on an aggadah found in the Babylonian Talmud and, with some variants, in Midrash Tanhuma. No one did more to see this count achieve its place of importance than Moses Maimonides, who, in his Sefer ha-Mitsvot, methodically crafted a list with the intent of having it serve as an outline for his upcoming Mishneh Torah, the most comprehensive code of law in Jewish history. In the first half of this work, Friedberg investigates Maimonides' methods and reasoning and arrives at a new and invative reason for his interest in the TaRYaG count. Friedberg then continues, carefully examining the language used for presenting commandments in the Mishneh Torah, which suggests to him new dimensions in Maimonides' legal theory.
- Author BiographyAlbert D. Friedberg (PhD University of Toronto) is a scholar of medieval Jewish literature and philosophy and early rabbinic literature. His published articles include A New Clue in the Dating of the Composition of the Book of Esther, and Maimonides' Reinterpretation of the Thirteenth Article of Faith: Another Look at his Essay on Resurrection.
- Author(s)Albert D. Friedberg
- PublisherAcademic Studies Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2013
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Studies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight735 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.