All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCraig McDean is accustomed to shooting pop idols en grande forme - a playful Madonna, for example, on the cover of Vanity Fair or in a worldwide campaign for Yves Saint Laurent. Lifescapes shows that he is also adept at challenging our perceptions of the big picture. McDean calls this collection Lifescapes rather than landscapes because the images represent his private views - vignettes from his own travels, his road trips across the world. For each image, he picked five or six different shots which he merged into one, doing so in a limited amount of time to maintain a feeling of spontaneity. Although McDean employed modern digital equipment to accomplish the blending, he did so in a manner that faithfully duplicated darkroom processes. The resulting scenes retain the integrity of the techniques practiced by the landscape artists and visual storytellers of yore, tempting the imagination. The viewer's journey includes masterful collages of motorcycles, skyscrapers, and Cadillacs. In one instance, shadowed images of beachgoers in Brazil share the sand with a high-rise building and a gigantic version of McDean's wife wading into the ocean. McDean captures the American fascination with icographic architecture while paying attention to lines, angles, and conflicting imagery. It's an amazing way to see the world without ever getting into a plane, train, or car.
- Author BiographyCraig McDean was born in Manchester, England in 1964. He lived and studied photography in London where he collaborated with i-D Magazine and The Face. He has since photographed campaigns for Calvin Klein, Chloe, Yohji Yamamoto, Jil Sander and Yves Saint Laurent. His work can also be seen in publications such as Vogue, Italian Vogue and W Magazine. In 1999 he published a book of his fine art photographs entitled I Love Fast Cars. He now lives and works in New York City.
- Author(s)Neville Wakefield
- PublisherSteidl Publishers
- Date of Publication01/01/2005
- Place of PublicationGottingen
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSteidl Verlag
- Out-of-print date29/05/2013
- Content Note40 colour illustrations
- Weight1500 g
- Width380 mm
- Height267 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.