Craving for Ecstasy and Natural Highs: A Positive Approach to Mood Alteration by Stanley G. Sunderwirth, Harvey B. Milkman (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $58.85Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $39.95+ AU $13.80 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by 108_crystal
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Harvey B. Milkman and Stanley Sunderwirth have written a tour de force. Craving for Ecstasy and Natural Highs: A Positive Approach to Mood Alteration ...is a beautifully written and organized book...a thrill ride through the most invative and insightful perspectives that science and clinical experience have to offer...hip and artistic, reflecting a deep understanding of addiction ...a major contribution to the field; it is must reading' - Howard J. Shaffer, PhD, CAS Editor, Psychology of Addictive Behaviors , Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School Director, Division on Addictions, Cambridge Health Alliance. 'Reading this book is in itself and ecstatic experience...a fascinating journey that explores the benefits and risks of pleasure and the universal desire to feel good...It's quite a trip' - G. Alan Marlatt, PhD, University of Washington. People from all walks of life often lose themselves in pursuing counterfeit pleasures - cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, thrill seeking, sex, food, gambling, and on-line fantasies to name just a few. How does the pursuit of pleasure result in compulsion and loss of control? Craving for Ecstasy and Natural Highs addresses this fundamental question and then explores positive ways to achieve lasting happiness and fulfillment. Readers will gain important insight on how to improve their own quality of life and will learn how to offer support to clients, students, family, and friends whose lives may be compromised by hedonic dependencies. Students of addictive behaviors and anyone interested in discovering healthy means to satisfy the drive to alter consciousness will find this book compelling. Reviews of previous work: 'The chemistry and psychology of addiction are described with considerable insight...These authors kw their stuff and make a compelling case' - The Los Angeles Times . 'The authors provide a valuable service by placing into perspective a large array of behaviors that could be considered addictive' - JAMA .
- Author BiographyHarvey B. Milkman, PhD received his baccalaureate degree from City College of New York and his doctorate from Michigan State University. He is currently professor of psychology at Metropolitan State College of Denver. His doctoral research was conducted with William Frosch, MD, at Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital in New York City, on the User's Drug of Choice. From 1980-1981, he completed a sabbatical exploration of addictive behavior in Africa, India, and Southeast Asia; in 1985 he was recipient of a Fulbright-Hays Lectureship award at the National University of Malaysia. He has represented the United States Information Agency as a consultant and featured speaker in Australia, Brazil, Iceland, The Netherlands, Peru, Turkey, and Yugoslavia. He is principle author with Stanley Sunderwirth of The Chemistry of Craving, and author of Better than Dope, featured articles in Psychology Today, October, 1983 and April, 2001 respectively. From September 1992-June 2002, he was author, principal investigator, and director of Project Self-Discovery: Artistic Alternatives for High-Risk Youth, a national demonstration model funded by The Center for Substance Abuse Prevention and the Edward Byrne Foundation. Stanley Sunderwirth, PhD, is Professor Emeritus at Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus. Dr. Sunderwirth received his doctorate in organic chemistry from The Ohio State University in 1955 and has held teaching positions at Colorado State University and Pittsburg State University in Kansas. He has been chairman of the Chemistry Department of Pittsburg State University, Dean and Vice President at Metropolitan State College, and Vice President at Community College of Philadelphia. Dr. Sunderwirth has received five Fulbright Awards, four to Uruguay and one to India. Dr. Sunderwirth has authored many scientific publications on brain chemistry and its effect on mind, mood, and behavior. These include Harnessing Brain Chemicals: The Influence of Molecules on Mind, Mood, and Behavior in Treatment Choices for Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, H. Milkman and L. Sederer, Eds., Lexington Books, 1990 and Addiction and Neurotransmission, in The Addictions: Multidisciplinary Perspectives and Treatments, H. Milkman and H. Shaffer, Eds., Lexington Books, 1985. He is co-author with H. Milkman of The Chemistry of Craving, Psychology Today, 1983; Craving for Ecstasy: The Consciousness and Chemistry of Escape, Lexington Books, 1987, 1998 (second edition): and Pathways to Pleasure: The Consciousness and Chemistry of Optimal Living, Lexington Books, 1993.
- Author(s)Harvey B. Milkman,Stanley G. Sunderwirth
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication01/06/2009
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight839 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.