All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHere is a compelling, thought provoking and practical guide to parenting and educating today's children. It is derived from Amartya Sen's Nobel Prize-winning approach to human development which has proven highly effective at freeing people from the chains of poverty. Educators Bruce and Caitlin Howlett apply Sen's approach to child development at home and in school and offering fresh, effective ways to rescue parenting and revive education, while providing parents, teachers and caregivers with a proven foundation for creating rewarding childhoods, academic success and fulfilling lives. By incorporating the twelve key capabilities, such as sensory awareness, creative imagination, emotional and self-awareness, parents and educators can promote the three most critical tools for children's survival and success: continuous learning, problem solving, and increased kwledge and meaning. Using stories of three different types of children - Zoe, Mia and Daniel - the authors demonstrate the value of life and of the Capabilities Approach theory on how to cultivate inquisitive, actively engaged, motivated, perceptive and resilient children.
- Author BiographyBruce Howlett, a former biological researcher at Cornell University, has over two decades of teaching experience that includes working in settings as diverse as a Montessori primary school and a residential school for emotionally disturbed teens. For the last twelve years he has been an elementary school special education teacher and has founded two educational technology companies, Sound Reading Solutions and Mind4Learning, which span the gap between cognitive research and the classroom. Caitlin Howlett has a Masters Degree in Philosophy from the University of Oregon where she studied the effects of social and economic inequality on students' outcomes and educational experiences and she is working on a Ph.D. in Philosophy of Education at Indiana University with a minor in gender studies. They both live in Ithaca, NY.
- Author(s)Bruce Howlett,Caitlin Howlett
- PublisherNew Horizon Press Publishers Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Place of PublicationFall Hills
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Horizon Press Publishers Inc.,U.S.
- Weight285 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.38New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.87New
- AU $6.50Used
- AU $31.93New
- AU $20.05New
- AU $24.96New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.75Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.