All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBetween the World Wars, New Orleans transformed its image from a corrupt and sullied port of call into a national tourist destination. Anthony J. Stanis tells how boosters and politicians reinvented the city to build a modern mass tourism industry and, along the way, fundamentally changed the city's cultural, ecomic, racial, and gender structure. Stanis looks at the importance of urban development, historic preservation, taxation strategies, and convention marketing to New Orleans' makeover and chronicles the city's efforts to domesticate its jazz scene, democratize Mardi Gras, and stereotype local blacks into docile, servile roles. He also looks at depictions of the city in literature and film and gauges the impact on New Orleans of white middle-class America's growing prosperity, mobility, leisure time, and tolerance of women in public spaces once considered off-limits. Visitors go to New Orleans with expectations rooted in the city's past : to revel with Mardi Gras maskers, soak up the romance of the French Quarter, and indulge in rich cuisine and hot music. Such a past has a basis in history, says Stanis, but it has been carefully excised from its gritty context and scrubbed clean for mass consumption.
- Author BiographyAnthony J. Stanonis, a native of New Orleans, is a visiting assistant professor of history at Texas A&M University.
- Author(s)Anthony J. Stanonis
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2006
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note10 b&w photos
- Weight517 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.