All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionThis book uses travel as a lens to observe the Creek world turning into the Old South. In Creek Paths and Federal Roads , Angela Pulley Hudson offers a new understanding of the development of the American South by examining travel within and between southeastern Indian nations and the southern states, from the founding of the United States until the forced removal of southeastern Indians in the 1830s. During the early national period, Hudson explains, settlers and slaves made their way along Indian trading paths and federal post roads, deep into the heart of the Creek Indians' world. Hudson focuses particularly on the creation and mapping of boundaries between Creek Indian lands and the states that grew up around them; the development of roads, canals, and other internal improvements within these territories; and the ways that Indians, settlers, and slaves understood, contested, and collaborated on these boundaries and transit networks. While she chronicles the experiences of these travelers - Native, newcomer, free, and enslaved - who encountered one ather on the roads of Creek country, Hudson also places indigeus perspectives squarely at the center of southern history, shedding new light on the contingent emergence of the American South.
- Author BiographyANGELA PULLEY HUDSON is assistant professor of history at Texas A&M University.
- Author(s)Angela Pulley Hudson
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note4 illustrations, 4 maps, notes, bibliography, index
- Weight395 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.