All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPart One of this book is based on ethgraphic fieldwork conducted by the author during 1970-72 on a local branch of the Muhammadiyah in the town of Kotagede, a suburb of Yogyakarta, Indonesia. This work, first published in 1983, observed that the Muhammadiyah social and educational movement had reformed traditional Javanese Islam into a vital living faith and adapted Muslim life to modernity. The author was one of the first scholars who had ted that there was continuing Islamisation in Indonesia and predicted its progress in the future. Part Two is based on the author's three decades of follow-up visits to the Kotagede from the 1970s to 2010. During this period, the Muhammadiyah movement made ermous advancements, eugh to make the town kwn as a Muhammadiyah town . On the national level, the Muhammadiyah has grown to be the second largest Islamic civil society organisation (after the traditionalist Nahdlatul Ulama) in Indonesia, with millions of members and supporters. Yet, the wider environment for it has been altered greatly by urbanisation, diversification and globalisation. It is also facing unprecedented challenges arising from calls for democratisation in the post-Soeharto era. The longitudinal study in this volume depicts the most recent dynamics of the Muhammadiyah movement in a local as well as transhistoric context.
- Author BiographyMitsuo Nakamura is Professor Emeritus at Chiba University, Japan. After obtaining a PhD from Cornell University, he was engaged in teaching and research at various institutions including University of Adelaide, University of Indonesia, The Australian National University, Harvard University, and Chiba University until his retirement from the latter in 1999.
- Author(s)Mitsuo Nakamura
- Date of Publication30/09/2012
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight630 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Enlarged edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.